Wizkid Keeps Winning At 29
By Dipo Omoware
Ayodeji Ibrahim Balogun also known as Wizkid is 29 years old today and without a doubt is one of Nigeria’s biggest music export in recent history.
While the argument is still out there as to whether the ‘Starboy’ is the poster boy for Afrobeats, one cannot deny the fact that he’s done quite decently for himself when it comes to numbers across the world and notable milestones.
Here’s a quick rundown of the ‘Superstar’ from his days in Ojuelegba:
- He started signing from a very young age. Wizzy as he is sometimes called started singing from the age of 11 year and formed a group ‘Glorious Five’ with some friends from church. The group released a collaborative album in 2001.
- In 2009, Wizkid signed a record deal with Banky W’s Empire Mates Entertainment (E.M.E) and released his first single ‘Holla at Your Boy’ in 2010
- He released his debut album Superstar in 2011
- In 2013, he left EME and established his imprint (now record label) Starboy Entertainment and signed a couple of music talents in the same year; Maleek Berry, L.A.X, producer Lengendary Beatz amongst others. However, he agreed to release one more album under EME.
- In 2014, he became the first Nigerian musician to hit 1 million twitter followers. He also released his sophomore album ‘Ayo’ in the same year under EME records.
- In 2015, he released Ojuelegba. The remix of the song featured vocals from Canadian Superstar Drake and Skepta and premiered on OVO Sound Radio in July 2015. He also performed with Chris Brown in Durban, South Africa that year.
- In 2016, Wizkid became the first Nigerian artiste to be featured on the Billboard chart following a guest feature on Drake’s ‘One Dance’. The song reached number-one of the Billboard Hot 100 chart and remained there for 10 weeks making Wizkid the only African artiste to attain this feat.
- In 2017, Wizkid’s ‘Come Closer’ featuring Drake crossed 1 million views within 24 hours of its release on Youtube. He became the first African artiste to do this. He broke his own record with the release of ‘Fever’ in 2018.
- In 2018, Wizkid collaborated with Nike to produce Starboy jersey which sold out in 10 minutes.
- He’s the first African artiste to get 7 Billboard nominations and the first Nigerian artist to win 3 Billboard Awards.
- Wizkid is the first afro-pop artiste to be in the Guinness Book of World Records.
- October 6 every year is celebrated as Wizkid Day in Minnesota, USA.
Photo credits: Youtube.com