Teenage pregnancy & domestic violence

In Politics 2019-08-30 12:04:57
Teenage pregnancy & domestic violence
Teenage pregnancy & domestic violence

Are you subjected to domestic violence or sexual harassment? You can for assistance, Report Now to the Lagos Domestic Violence Response Team via these codes/digits:

 

Text: 112

 

Dial : *6820#

 

 Call: 0813 796 0048

 

Today's edition of the Morning Crossfire’s Report Women radio programme takes a look at Teenage pregnancy & domestic violence. As usual, Wemimo Adewuni and Sheriff Quadri were anchors on the show.

This show examines the work of a Channels TV reporter which highlights a teenage girl who ran away from home because her father was beating her and she went to stay with her boyfriend who impregnates her and continued to beat her. She had her baby and still continued to suffer these situations. The story examined the possibility of the lady, who was still a teenager, to go back home to her father.

The Demographic & Health Survey (DHS) 2018 report reveals that in Nigeria, an estimated 19 percent of women aged 15-19 years have begun childbearing. Various researches conducted across the country indicate that teenage pregnancy is now a major issue today in Nigeria. Findings reveal that it is already common to see many young teenage mothers in and around the different states of Nigeria.

 

According to World Health Organization (WHO), teenage pregnancy is the pregnancy that occurs in human females under the age of 20. Sadly, WHO's statistics reveal that 95 percent of births to mothers in this age group occur in low to middle income countries, with the highest rates occurring in sub-Saharan Africa. It's been reported that approximately 11% of births world-wide occur to mothers aged 15-19. Indicators show that teenage mothers formed 22.9 percent of women in Nigeria in 2010.

 

According to Demographic Health Survey, in 2013, three in ten women in Nigeria admitted to first have had sexual intercourse at the age of 20 or later, while 54 percent said they had done so before turning 18.24 percent indicated that they had not even been 15 yet.

 

The DHS' research findings also showed that a mere two percent of sexually active girls between 15 and 19 use contraceptives. This is due to the fact that they do not have access to contraceptives. Survey from DHS still infers that most Nigerians live in denial of how common teenage sex because of religious and cultural sensitivities.

 

In a survey on violence against women in Lagos, 64.4 percent women admit that they had been beaten by a partner (boyfriend or husband). 56.6 percent of women admitted experiencing such violence. Similar interviews carried out in Oyo state and other parts of Nigeria yielded similar results. In the South Eastern region of Nigeria, 70 percent of respondents reported abuse in their families with 92 percent of the victims being female partners and the remaining 8 percent being male.

 

The common forms of abuse reported were shouting at a partner and it constitutes 93% of the cases. Slapping or pushing constitutes 77 percent and punching and kicking is believed to be 40 percent.

 

Rotimi Sankore is the first to make remarks on the issue. He starts by the general path of looking at violence against women. “It takes so many forms,” Rotimi begins. “Typically, beating, hitting, shoving, intimidation, rape, other forms of non-penetrative sexual assault, intimidation, which can happen in the home or in the community and it also happens when women are in the market and men are grabbing women by the arms or touching body parts, it is not cat-calling, it is called groping. These men act like animals.”

 

How do you think the government and the Nigerian societies could put an end to the issue of teenage pregnancy and domestic violence? What are the channels of reporting issues on domestic & sexual violence in Lagos? What are the economic & social consequences?

 

Watch the video below and leave your comments

 

 

 

Guests:

 Ini John-Mekwa – Works at Channels TV and a 2018 FRLP Fellow.

Jeffrey Ekenkwo - Lagos State Domestic and Sexual Violence Response Team

RotimiSankore - Journalist, Policy and Development Expert

 

Written by Jude Chukwuemeka