NUSA To Sue South Africa For Xenophobia
By Olamide Fadoju
Nigerian Union South Africa (NUSA) has resolved to take the South African government to court over the xenophobic attacks suffered by Nigerians in South Africa.
NUSA president, Adetola Olubajo disclosed this is in an interview with Wemimo Adewuni and Sheriff Quadri on Nigeria Info FM programme, Morning Crossfire.
According to him, the decision to go to court for the first time was taken after several attempts by the South African government to stop them from doing so in the past.
“In South Africa, the Judicial system is very sound and nobody owns the court, even the government, the ANC. So what they do at any point in time is to prevent us from going to court so having noticed that we have decided to go to court this time around," Olubajo said.
He continued: “we want victims to come forward, some of them have come forward then we will be able to sue the state. We need to put pressure on them”.
“When you go to the international court without doing this it may not make your case watertight”
“You don’t need to ask for compensation when you go to court will always award a cost if you win the case. We need to test the court this time around,” he said.
According to the BBC, twelve people were killed when mobs attacked foreign-owned businesses, mainly in Johannesburg during the attacks last month. (See this special report: Xenophobic attacks)
Although no Nigerian was reported killed in the recent violence in South Africa, Nigerian-owned shops and businesses were targeted by the mobs.
There were also reprisal attacks by Nigerians in Lagos and Abuja on businesses believed to be owned by South Africans. The attacks left one person dead in Lagos and goods destroyed. See this Twitter post.
There has been a voluntary evacuation of Nigerians living in South Africa.188 evacuees arrived last week with a further 300 Nigerians expected to arrive in Lagos on Wednesday.