North Korea restores nuclear weapons facilities
Rebuilding commences after Trump-Kim summit fails
Foreign experts and a South Korean lawmaker who was briefed by Seoul’s spy service said North Korea is restoring facilities at a long-range rocket launch site that it dismantled last year.
This came after a meeting last week between North Korean leader Kim Jong-un and U.S. President Donald Trump ended without any agreement.
An article from 38 North, a website specializing in North Korea studies, cited commercial satellite imagery as indicating that efforts to rebuild some structures at the site started sometime between Feb. 16 and March 2.
North Korea took several steps to stop nuclear armament last year when it entered nuclear talks with the United States and South Korea. The country has carried out satellite launches at the site in recent years, resulting in U.N. sanctions over expert claims that they were disguised tests of banned missile technology.
The Trump-Kim summit did not succeed because of differences over how much sanction relief North Korea could win in return for closing its aging main nuclear complex. However, both sides left the door open for future negotiations.
A South Korean lawmaker who attended the briefing said Wednesday that NIS director Suh Hoon said the structures being restored at the launch site include roofs and building doors. He requested anonymity because of the sensitive nature of the information.