Lagos Fire: Refilling Generators While on Increased Fire - Agency
The Lagos State Fire Service wants people to stop the habit of fuelling generators while they are powered on.
The Acting Director of the service, Margaret Adeseye relayed the message at the scene of Wednesday’s fire at Martins Street, Lagos Island where a four storey building was gutted.
“My advice to the public is to desist from the habit of fuelling generator while at work. We got to know there was generator on while they were fuelling it. That escalated and resulted in the outbreak of the fire.”
Authorities blame the fire on the practice.
Adeseye said that crowd management was a constraint for the fire service while dealing with the fire, but she assured it has been brought under control.
“Our constraint now is this crowd management, the public are struggling with the equipment with us, that will not make the work faster but as it is we are still on ground to make sure we see the end of the fire,” She said.
Adeseye further revealed that one of the buildings that was razed has collapsed and that another could also go down.
The Federal Fire Service, the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency (LASEMA) and other emergency units are on the site of the inferno.