In News 2019-03-12 15:31:02

Siti Aisyah and Doan Thi Huong have seen the case against them dropped

Following the withdrawal of the charges against her by Malaysian prosecutors, Siti Aisyah, the Indonesian woman accused of killing Kim Jong Nam, the half brother of North Korean leader Kim Jong  Un, has returned home.


Siti Aisyah was accused of killing Kim Jong Nam using a deadly nerve agent VX, as he entered a Kualar Lumpur Airport. She alongside Doan Thi Huong of Vietnam, were charged with Nam’s murder, and faced the death penalty if convicted.


After spending over two years behind bars following their arrest in February 2017, the decision to drop the case against Aisyah followed months of lobbying by Jakarta, as confirmed by Rusdi Kirana, Indonesia's ambassador to Malaysia.


An image of an undated letter requesting that Aisyah be freed was released by The Indonesian Law and Human Rights Ministry, the letter which repeated many of the arguments made by her defense attorneys, asked that Malaysian authorities take into account the two countries' "good relations" when considering the request.


The decision to drop the charges against the women came as a surprise to many, including Aisyah herself, who overwhelmed by her emotions, thanked her parents, President Joko Widodo and the Indonesian people for their prayers as she spoke to reporters at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Jakarta.


According to Huong’s lawyer Gooi Soon Seng, the prosecutors gave no reason for their decision, adding that the prosecutors did not ask the judge to drop charges against her client, a decision she criticized as "unfair."


Prosecutors are expected to announce whether they will continue with the case against Huong come Thursday when the trial resumes.


Tommy Thomas, Malaysian Attorney General had on Friday responded with his own letter to that released by The Indonesian Law and Human Rights Ministry, announcing that the prosecution would effectively drop the case.


Kim Jong Nam's murder had triggered a fiery 21days diplomatic row between Malaysia and North Korea, further isolating Pyongyang, a dispute which only ended after nine Malaysians effectively barred from leaving Pyongyang were allowed to return home and three North Koreans were permitted to leave Malaysia.