JUST IN: No Coronavirus in Lagos - Ministry
By Ufuoma Egbamuno
Lagosians and indeed Nigerians can now heave a sigh of relief as it is now confirmed there is no case of the dreaded Coronavirus in the country.
The Lagos State Ministry of Health in a statement late on Saturday confirmed “there is no suspected or confirmed case of #nCoV2019 (Coronavirus) in Lagos.”
Update on suspected' Corona virus case in Lagos today 1/02/2020— LSMOH (@LSMOH) February 1, 2020
The attention of @followlasg and @LSMOH has been drawn to a story of a query suspected case of #2019nCoV infection which presented at a particular private hospital in Lekki, Lagos on 29/01/2020 pic.twitter.com/ovcSOlJ231
Earlier, Nigeria Info exclusively reported that the ministry was investigating the suspected case.
BREAKING: Could there be a case of Coronavirus in Lagos?— Nigeria Info FM 99.3 (@NigeriainfoFM) February 1, 2020
“There is a rumour and the ministry is investigating and nothing has been confirmed. The Commissioner (of Health) will issue a statement very soon...”https://t.co/xPPnyZ3TYv
Several unconfirmed reports had suggested that a man was quarantined at a hospital in Lekki with the dreaded Coronavirus.
Medical Director, Mainland Hospital, Yaba, Abimbola Bowale told Nigeria Info earlier that the ministry was investigating the rumours to ascertain the authenticity.
Now, the Lagos State Ministry of Health has given a better explanation of the scenario.
“The subject in question is an adult male Nigerian who arrived from China 4 days ago,” the ministry said in a statement.
The subject in question is an adult male Nigerian who arrived from China 4 days ago. He was in Shanghai throughout his stay in China and during his stay he did not have any contact with anyone who was ill or from Wuhan region. #StopOutbreaks #StopnCoV @NCDCgov @Fmohnigeria pic.twitter.com/Lw1lztYiM0— LSMOH (@LSMOH) February 1, 2020
“He was in Shanghai throughout his stay in China and during his stay he did not have any contact with anyone who was ill or from Wuhan region. On his return to Lagos he followed the Public advisory issued by the ministry and like a responsible member of the society has chosen to self-quarantine.
“He presented to a hospital for a check-up just to be sure but was found to be perfectly well and asked to return home to continue his self-quarantine.
More importantly, the Ministry of Health noted that the patient “is not exhibiting any symptoms,” of the dreaded Coronavirus.
However, to be certain, the ministry says it will “continue to monitor his welfare till the end of his self-quarantine period.”
Earlier, a representative of Lagos State governor, Babajide Sanwa-Olu had opened up on the rumours of a suspected case of a patient with the Coronavirus.
quarantine for 14 days. Please let's stop all this rumour mongering. It causes panic and helps no one... Everyone who passed on this misinformation started with "I heard that..." or big alarming headline and on paragraph 5 in the story "we cannot verify this...."— Oreoluwa (@Oreoluwa_Finnih) February 1, 2020
Oreoluwa Finnih is the Senior Special Assistant to Governor Sanwa-Olu on health matters. She explains that the patient will be in self-quarantine for a fortnight.
“(The) client was examined and found asymptomatic. Lab tests were ordered and are clear. He’s been advised to self-quarantine for 14,” Finnih noted.
She insists the “rumour mongering” needs to stop as “it causes panic and helps no one.”
Nigeria Info will keep you updated on this story as we get more details.