FIFA Ban: Siasia Denies Wrongdoing
By Ufuoma Egbamuno
Former Super Eagles striker Samson Siasia says he did “nothing wrong” and will fight to clear his name after FIFA banned him for life for match-fixing.
Speaking to former media officer of the Super Eagles, Colin Udoh, Siasia says "I don't know anything about this. I did nothing wrong and I have not received any letter from FIFA."
On Friday, FIFA put a statement announcing that it banned Siasia for life after finding him “guilty of having accepted that he would receive bribes in relation to the manipulation of matches in violation of the FIFA Codes of Ethics.”
The former Super Eagles coach is also expected to pay a fine of just over 18 million naira (CHF 50,000).
Siasia insists he was never invited to defend himself and is hearing about the FIFA ban for the first time.
FIFA says the formal ethics proceedings against the former Super Eagles striker started in February this year and comes from “an extensive investigation into matches that Mr Wilson Raj Perumal attempted to manipulate for betting puposes.”
The world’s governing body noted that Siasia breached “article 11 (bribery) of the 209 edition of the FIFA Code of Ethics,” and as such “banned for life from all football-related activities (administrative, sports and any other) at both national and international level.
Last month, the mother of Siasia was kidnapped in Yenegoa, the Bayelsa State capital. She is still held under captivity as the kidnappers reportedly demanded about 50 million naira as ransom.