In Football 2019-04-04 14:56:13

Manchester City return to the top of the table after defeating Cardiff City 2-0 at the Etihad last night.


First half goals from Kevin De Bruyne and Leroy Sane took The Citizens to 80 points on the log, one ahead of Liverpool who now slip to second, and saw Guardiola’s team record an eight successive league win.


Manchester City expectedly dominated their hosts and took just six minutes to open the scoring as defender Aymeric Laporte layed on a pass for Belgian International Kevin De Bruyne who thumped home a finish from an acute angle into the roof of the net.


It seemed like the floodgates were going to open following the quick opener but it took the hosts 38 more minutes to grab a second as Leroy Sane powered a shot into the bottom corner after receiving a chested pass from Gabriel Jesus.


Neil Warnock’s side, smattering from Saturday’s controversial defeat at home to Chelsea offered precious little going forward and only registered a shot on goal in the dying embers of the first-half thanks to Junior Hoilett’s blocked shot. Oumar Niasse had the visitor’s next chance  when he force City goal-kepper Ederson into a save on 85 minutes.


City failed to add to their tally in the second half as a combination of near misses, fine defending and Cardiff goal-keeper Etherigde denied Pep’s men who still remain in the hunt for a quadruple this season.


City next tackle Brighton in the FA Cup semi-final at Wembley on Saturday while Cardiff return to League duties on April 13th with a trip to Turf Moore to face Burnley.


In the other games played, Chelsea breezed past Brighton 3-0 at Stamford Bridge to move above Manchester United to fifth in the league standings as the race for a top four finish continues.


It took The Blues 38 minutes to open the scoring, Olivier Giroud getting on the end of young Callum Hudson-Odoi’s cross- in his first league start this season- to put the hosts in front. Eden Hazard curled home the Blues’ second from the edge of the area after receiving a Rueben Loftus-Cheek pass. The England International then turned goal-scorer from a Eden Hazard assist this time, curling home a beauty from 25-yards- a replica of Eden Hazard’s goal three minutes earlier.


It was a convincing, comfortable and much needed win for Chelsea who replaced United in fifth and are now level on points with fourth-placed Arsenal with 63 points, one behind Spurs on 64points in third.


Under-fire Chelsea boss Maurizio Sarri gave teenager Hudson-Odoi his first League start this season as he yielded to calls from the Chelsea fans to hand more game time to the highly rated winger who repayed his manager’s faith in him with a good performance and an assist for Giroud’s goal.


Chelsea next face West ham in a London derby next Monday while Chris Hughton’s Brighton have a Wembley date with Man City in the FA Cup semi-final on Saturday.


It was an emotional atmosphere at the new £1bn as Tottenham played its first game at its new home ground and recorded a 2-0 win over visiting Crystal Palace.


Heung-Min Son wrote his name in Spurs history as he became the first player to score a Premier League goal at the new edifice when his shot ricocheted off Milivojevic and into the net on 55 minutes.


Danish midfielder Christian Eriksen bundled home a second to seal victory and a memorable night for the Spurs family as 59,215 spectators were present on a truly spectacular night in London. It was the first time Spurs played at “home” since they beat Manchester United back in May 2017 at the old White Hart Lane.


The result sees Pochettino’s side return to third on the log ahead of the Gunners who do have a game in hand. Spurs next play in their new home on Tuesday against Manchester City in the Champions League while Hodgson’s men travel to Newcastle in the Premier League on Saturday.