Border Closure Not Forever - FG
The Minister of Finance, Budget and National Planning, Zainab Ahmed has clarified that the closure of all land borders manned by the Nigeria Customs Service (NCS) and other security agencies will not “last forever.”
This follows a disclosure by the Comptroller-General of NCS, Hameed Ali that goods worth N1.4 billion had been seized since the federal government partially close the country’s land borders on August 20 to tame the activities of smugglers as well as enforce compliance to anti-dumping practices by its neighbours.
The minister said discussions are currently ongoing between the government of Nigeria and the Republic of Benin on the need to comply with the various trade agreements signed by both countries but which had been reportedly subjected to abuses.
The minister said even though the closure had so far recorded positive outcomes for the economy, the borders would be reopened as soon as there is compliance to the treaties signed by the neighbouring countries.
“We understand that there are some challenges relating to it. The Nigeria Custom and the committee that is working on this border closure. They are looking at how to ease some of those difficulties but at some point, it has to be |Nigeria first. We have to protect our own industry.”