Stations
Watch Live Listen Live

General Electric’s Operations in Lagos, Port Harcourt Shut Down by Oil Workers

Members of Petroleum and Natural Gas Senior Staff Association of Nigeria, PENGASSAN and the Nigeria Union of Petroleum and Natural Gas Workers, NUPENG, on Wednesday shut down the operations of General Electric, GE, in Lagos and Port Harcourt, due to alleged unpaid debt to Arco Group Plc.

The alleged refusal of GE to pay Arco Group Plc, a leading oil and gas servicing company, for the jobs done for GE has led Arco Group Plc into difficulties paying its workers in the past six months.

Vanguard reported that GE had not paid Arco Group demobilization payments due to it to enable it pay its workers from the OBOB/Ebocha/KwaleAgip gas plants in the Niger Delta region. Some of the workers were declared unneeded in October 2016 and their services severed.

Vanguard gathered that although the Minister of Labour and Employment, Senator Chris Ngige, had intervened directing the American company to honour its agreement with Arco to enable it pay the salaries of its workers, GE was said to have refused.

Vanguard also reported that the workers are being owed outstanding allowances, overall allowance, severance and contract allowance.

In Port Harcourt, Rivers State, members of both NUPENG and PENGASSAN took part in the demonstration, while only PENGASSAN members were visible in Lagos. The workers who stormed Mansard Place, on Bishop Aboyade Cole Street, Victoria Island, stopped the operations of four other companies, including AXA Mansard Investment, and Novartis which operating in the building.

The mob displayed placards with inscriptions that read, “GE pay us our money, GE, is a debtor and a traitor, General Electric respect Nigeria workers and our wages is our rights”. The protesting workers chanted solidarity songs.

The Lagos Zonal Chairman of PENGASSAN, Mr. Abel Agarin, addressed journalists saying it was agreed during a meeting with the Minster of Labour and Employment, Senator Chris Ngige, in November 30, 2016, that Arco would pay salary arrears and outstanding benefits when Arco demobilises from the project site.

According to him, Arco had complied with the conditions of the agreement by withdrawing completely from the project site in February while GE has failed to issue a purchase invoice as agreed.

Agarin said, “GE has failed to accept responsibility. We were invited to Abuja, during the meeting with the Minister of Labour and Employment last year, GE agreed that if Arco is able to demobilise from site, as soon as possible, it will issue them a purchasing invoice that will get matured in 30 days.

“And by February this year, Arco completed the demobilisation and the purchase invoice promised by GE is not forthcoming. We are now in April and GE is foot dragging, and there is no information from them, despite the directive to fulfil their promise.

“We are not going to leave until it comes up with a statement of commitment to that effect.

“We don’t need further extension of this payment. Unless they agree to start paying the arrears of the other months that our members can receive salaries. If you go to the Arco office in Port Harcourt, so many of the workers are bedridden and have no money to pay the medical bills.

“We cannot fold our arms while these people are dying. These people have laboured on this job and they need to be paid. Arco is unable to mobilise for any other job due to lack of funds. There have been series of meeting and one of those meeting was held at the Ministry of Labour and Employment.”

An official of the company that manages the building, identified as Abayomi Oyewumi, at about 12.30 pm, convinced the protesting workers to suspend their action to enable other tenants to access their offices and promised that a meeting between GE and Arco would be facilitated for amicable resolution of the issue.

The workers while agreeing to suspend the action, vowed to come back with a greater force should the intervention fail.

Read more

Importation of Fish Cost Nigeria N9bn Annually

The Association of Indigenous Sea Food Stakeholders has said that Nigeria loses N9bn revenue annually to illegal fish importation and smuggling.

Read more

CBN opens window for SMEs to buy $20,000 per quarter

The Central Bank of Nigeria, CBN opened a special foreign exchange window for Small and Medium Enterprises, SMEs, yesterday,to give SMEs the opportunity to import eligible finished and semi-finished items not exceeding $20,000 for an enterprise per quarter.

Read more

23,000 Ghost Enrollees Removes from Health Insurance Scheme By NHIS

23,000 ghost enrollees who have been enjoying the benefits of the insurance scheme have been removed by The National Health Insurance Scheme.

Read more

Newsletter

Enter your email address for signup as our newsletter.
               Whatsapp    

About Us

Nigeria Info FM, Your #1 Talk, News and Sports Station!”, the first station in its format in Nigeria. It proudly broadcasts local and international news with a blend of talk & sports shows, while addressing current affairs and topical issues.

Location

Nigeria Info Port Harcourt, 2, AIM Crescent, KM 16, East West Road, Rumuosi, Near Syringe factory, Port Harcourt.

Telephone:

234-84-901489